EWS Certificate 2020 - How to Apply, Eligibility Criteria and FAQs
Economically Weaker Section or EWS certificate is a certificate issued to those who belong to the Economically Weaker Section of the society. The honorable President of India Ram Nath Kovind on January 12, 2019, passed the EWS bill. The EWS reservation category is a sub-category that falls under the General category. Based on the EWS certificate, individuals will be provided with a 10% reservation on government jobs and admission for higher education. Therefore, an EWS certificate is an income certificate rather than a caste certificate. To know more in detail about the EWS reservation certificate, read the whole article carefully.
For availing the EWS certificate, you need to fulfil the following conditions:
- The gross income of the family has to be less than ₹8 lakh per annum.
- The candidate should belong to the General category. Those who belong from SC, ST, and OBC categories are not eligible for an EWS certificate.
- If the family possess the assets, they won’t be eligible for EWS certificate –
1. Agricultural land of 5 acres or more than that.
2. Residential plot of 100 square yards to 200 square yards and more in notified municipalities and other than specified municipalities.
3. 1000 square feet and above residential area.
Candidates have to apply offline for an EWS certificate except for those candidates who belong from the state of Andhra Pradesh.
If you are from Andhra Pradesh, you can apply for EWS certificate through online mode, you have to follow the following steps:
1. Click on the link: https://onlineap.meeseva.gov.in/. The homepage will be opened.
2. Then click on the button ‘New Registration’ if you haven’t registered earlier.
3. The new registration page will appear where you have to enter all the necessary details, such as personal information, contact information, and other things. After that, click on the submit button, you will be registered.
4. Now go to the homepage again, there you will see an option’ Revenue Department’. Click it.
5. The revenue department page will open, there will be an option’ Income Certificate,’ click it.
6. You will be asked to log in using your username and password that you have created while registering yourself.
7. Once you log in, the application form will appear where you have to enter all the required details such as your name, parents’ name, AADHAR number, date of birth, gender, age, income details, and upload all the documents and proceed for payment.
8. Once you are done with the payment, don’t forget to take out a print of the payment receipt.
The candidates from rest other states have to apply through offline mode for EWS certification; they have to follow the following steps:
1. First, you will have to go to this link: https://ap.meeseva.gov.in/DeptPortal/Meeseva-Applications.html
2. Then, you will have to scroll down and click on the "Revenue" section where you will find the "Issuance of Income & Asset Certificate for Economically Weaker Sections(EWS)ApplicationForm" option to download the EWS certificate application form.
(You can also download it directly by clicking here using which you can skip the first 2 steps.)
3. Then enter all the necessary details in the form.
4. Attach your passport size photograph along with all relevant documents.
5. Then submit the form to your nearby Tashil or Block office.
6. You can also go to your nearby Common Service Centre (CSC) or Jan Sewa Kendra for applying for the EWS certificate.
The candidates have to pay a nominal value for the application form of the EWS certificate. This amount depends upon the issuing authority and the state government. Every state may have a different nominal value for the application form.
Each state will have different issuing authorities for issuing EWS certificate. Here is the list of all the issuing authorities:
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendary/ Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner.
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate.
- Revenue Officer, not below the rank of Tehsildar.
- Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate or his/her family normally resides.
The required documents that the candidate has to attach with the application form of EWS certificate are as follows:
- AADHAR Card,
- PAN Card,
- Income Certificate,
- Bank Statements,
- Land documents (if any),
- Residential proof,
- Passport-sized photograph.
Application Status Check
Candidates who belong from the state of Andhra Pradesh, if they have applied for EWS certificate through online mode they can check their application status in the following steps:
1. Visit the official website https://onlineap.meeseva.gov.in/.
2. The homepage will appear where will be a login option where you have to enter your username, password, and captcha code.
3. Once you log in, enter your application number and click on the ‘Go’ button. Your application status will appear.
EWS Certificate Validity
EWS certificate is valid for a specified period, most probably for one year. The validity of the EWS certificate depends upon the issuing authority of that particular state.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the full form of EWS?
The full form of EWS is the Economically Weaker Section.
Q. For how much time EWS certificate remain valid?
EWS certificate remains valid for one year.
Q. Can I apply for an EWS certificate online?
Yes, if you belong from the state of Andhra Pradesh or Bihar, you can apply for an EWS certificate online.
Q. Does the EWS certificate have any age limit?
No, the EWS certificate has no age limit.
Q. How long does it take to get an EWS certificate?
It usually takes 21 days to process the EWS certificate.
Q. How can I get an EWS certificate?
You have to submit the application form of the EWS certificate to the issuing authority/ tehsildar/ CSC centre.
Q. Can SC/ST/OBC apply for EWS certificate?
No, SC/ST/OBC cannot apply for EWS certificate. EWS certificate is for General category people.
Q. Is income certificate and EWS certificate are same?
No, income certificate and EWS certificate are not the same.
Q. What is EWS income limit?
EWS income limit is less than 8 lakh.
Q. When is EWS cut-off higher than General category?
EWS cut-off is generally higher than the General category when there is an age relaxation.
Q. What is between EWS and EBC?
EWS means Economically Weaker Section and EBC means Economically Backward Class, both of them are pretty similar.
Q. What is the EWS category?
Economically Weaker Section or EWS category is the sub-category of General category.
Q. Can I change my category from General to EWS category?
Yes, you can change your category from General to EWS.
Q. Who enacted the EWS certificate?
Government of India.
Q. What is the reservation benefit for EWS?
EWS category will get 10% reservation in government jobs and higher education.