Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme for Electronics and IT Students
Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme is especially for Electronics and IT students and launched by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India. The motive of this scheme is to increase the number of PhDs in Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) and IT/IT Enabled Services (IT/ITES) sectors in the country. This scheme was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) in 2014 for nine years, and the total budget allocated for this plan was ₹ 466 crores.
- The main motive of this scheme is to increase the number of PhDs in Electronics System Design and Manufacturing (ESDM) and IT/IT Enabled Services (IT/ITES) sectors in the country.
- Try to make pressure on R&D, and create an innovative ecosystem as well as enhance India’s competitiveness in these knowledge-intensive sectors.
- To fulfil the guidelines that were made in National Policy on Electronics (NPE 2012) as well as National Policy on Information Technology (NPIT 2012) that recommend providing special thrust on appreciably increasing the number of PhDs in the country.
- This will also enable India to compete worldwide in the coming decades, to expand an ecosystem of research, development as well as IP creation in these information-intensive sectors.
- Under this scheme, the support will provide almost 1500 PhD Candidates that will include both Full-Time (500) and Part-Time (1000) in each of ESDM and IT/ITES sectors.
- The scheme is also launched to motivate working professionals as well as non-PhD faculty members to pursue a PhD.
The main critical elements of the Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme are mentioned below:
- This scheme can provide the 25% more fellowship amount that is much greater than most of the other PhD Schemes.
- Under this scheme, ₹ 5, 00,000/- per candidate will be provided for infrastructural to the academic institutions for creation or up-gradation of labs.
- The candidates who are pursuing a part-time PhD will be able to get only a one-time incentive after the completion of the PhD.
- Under this scheme support will also be provided to the 200 Young Faculty Research Fellowships in the areas of ESDM as well as IT/ITES to retain and magnetize brilliant young faculty members in these sectors.
Support for Full-Time PhD Candidates
- The fellowship that will be provided to the candidates mentioned below:
- I and II year candidates will get ₹ 31,500 per month that is revised as ₹ 38,750/- per month.
- III to V year candidates will get ₹ 35,000 that is changed as ₹ 43,750/- per month.
- ₹ 30,000/- support will be provided annually for consumables etc.
- The candidates who are not offered accommodation or they do not accept the accommodation offered by the institution then reimbursement of rent will be provided to those PhD candidates.
- There will be support provided under this scheme for attending international conferences. Support will be provided to the candidates up to ₹ 50,000/- up to ₹ 50,000/-.
- The support will be provided to the candidates in attending a maximum of 2 conferences under this scheme.
- The candidate who is pursuing a full-time PhD is eligible to apply for this scheme and get the benefits of the programme.
Support for Part-time PhD Candidates
The Part-time PhD Candidates are allowed to get the only one-time incentive of ₹ 2, 50,000/- after the successful completion of the PhD.
Fellowship for Young Faculty Research
- Young Faculty Research will be able to get fellowship ₹ 20,000/- per month in adding up to the regular income.
- Extra support of ₹ 5, 00,000/- per year will also be provided for the research expenses and presenting research work.
Duration of Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme
The candidates who will get support under this scheme will get selected in five years. After that, the fund will be provided to the selected candidates till the 9th year for the commitments that are already made during the scheme period.
Salary and Benefits
There are some main key points of this scheme are mentioned below:
In the beginning, the position will be offered for one year, and after that, it can be extended up to five years. The progress will be determined through periodic evaluations under this scheme.
At present, under Visvesvaraya PhD scheme fellowship is provided to the candidates every month that is Rs. 22,500 for the first two years and then Rs. 25,000 for the next two years. This fellowship may also increase shortly. But till the changes made in the guidelines, students will admit through this scheme. The students will be paid a fellowship of Rs. 25,000 for the first two years and Rs. 28,000 after two years with agencies like MHRD, DST, etc. Contingency support of 30,000/- will be provided to the candidates per year.
Support for up to two international conference or workshops
This grant is already provided by the Department of Chemistry, IIT Kanpur to all its PhD students. Under this scheme, students are allowed to attend a maximum of two workshops or international conferences.
- The candidate who wants to apply for this scheme must have an M.Sc. or equivalent degree with at least 55% marks.
- The students who have completed their degree by July 2015 are eligible to apply under this scheme.
The candidates are allowed to submit some required documents in the application form. The list of required documents is mentioned below:
- Photocopy of 10th class certificate
- The candidates have to provide the photocopy of Under-Graduate degree certificate and mark sheet
- Post-Graduate degree certificate and mark sheet Photocopy
- GATE scorecard or NET (CSIR/UGC/LS) qualifying certificate Photocopy
- Caste certificate Photocopy applicable
- EWS certificate Photocopy if applicable
- Photocopy of PWD certificate (if applicable), the certificate must be issued by the authorized medical authority.
- TC/Migration Certificate Photocopy
- If the candidate is an employed, No Objection Certificate (NOC) as well as other documents from the employer in support of your application
- All the publications Photocopy
- Photocopy of teaching or research experience certificate
- In the case of the SRS category candidate profile of the Organization/ Employer
The Registration Process
The students who want to enrol under this scheme have to follow the simple process. The entire process to get enrolled under this scheme is mentioned below:
- The candidates must have to fill an application form to get registered under this scheme.
- The candidates are advised to fill the application form in the format like “Visvesvaraya Application of [candidate name]”.
- After filling the form, the candidates have been requested to email the application form to Dr T. G. Gopakumar ([email protected]).
- The candidates also have to mail scanned copies of two letters of reference. The candidates will have to direct mail at [email protected]
- In the reference letter, the candidates have to mention a subject “Reference letter for [Candidate Name]”.
- When the candidates are called for the interview, they have to bring the original reference letter in a sealed envelope.
- During the admission, original transcripts would have to be submitted for the verification process.
The candidates who will get shortlisted candidates have to give a written test.
- In the written test, the candidates will be asked objective type questions which will depend on GATE or NET syllabus.
- The candidate who will qualify the written test with at least 40% marks will be shortlisted for the interview.
- The interview will be taken on the same day.
- The list of candidates who are shortlisted for written test will be uploaded on the Institute’s website: www.nituk.ac.in
- The students can apply for a full-time PhD. Program who has NET-JRF (CSIR/UGC).
- The candidates will get the fellowship in full-time PhD programme from the Institute as per the Government of India norms.
- The student who will pursue a part-time PhD programme will not be able to get any fellowship from the Institute.
- Accommodation will be provided to the PhD scholars in the hostel of the Institute subject to the accessibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which department launched this scheme?
This scheme is launched by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.
Q: What are the fee criteria to fill the application form?
The Application Fee of Rs.500/- is for General and OBC candidates as well as Rs.250/- for SC and ST candidates.
Q: How will someone get selected for this scheme?
At first, the candidate has to give a written test, and if the candidate is selected in the written examination, then he will be called for an interview.
Q: If someone has cleared graduation with 50% marks is he or she eligible to apply for this scheme?
No, the candidate is not eligible for the scheme because 55% marks are mandatory for the programme.