SSC CGL 2020 - Exam Pattern and Syllabus
Staff Selection Commission’s Combined Graduate Level exam consists of four phases, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4. The tier 1 exam was held from March 3, 2020 to March 9, 2020. SSC CHSL Tier 2 exam is expected to be conducted from June 22, 2020 to June 25, 2020.
To help candidates crack tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4, we have compiled all the necessary information from exam pattern to syllabus in a detailed and organised manner.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern & Syllabus
SSC CGL exam consists of four phases, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4. Each and every stage has a different topic, exam type and syllabus. SSC CGL tier 1 exam 2020 is already conducted. Let’s proceed with the Tier 2 Exam pattern and Syllabus.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern and Syllabus
The tier 2 exam is an objective multiple choice type exam. It consists of 4 papers i.e. English Language and Comprehension, Quantitative Abilities, Statistics and General Studies (Finance and Economics). The duration for each paper is 2 hours.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Pattern
Each section has a fixed time allotment and the number of questions as shown below.
English Language and Comprehension
General Studies (Finance and Economics)
Points to be noted:
- Paper-I and Paper-II are compulsory for all posts.
- Paper-III will be for only those candidates who apply for the post of Junior Statistical Officer (JSO).
- Paper- IV will be for the posts of Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer.
- Paper - ll consists of negative marking of 0.25 marks whereas 0.50 marks will be deducted for each wrong answer in Paper-I, Paper-III and Paper-IV.
- Questions in Paper-I will be of Matriculation Level, Paper-II of 10+2 Level and in Paper-III and Paper-IV of Graduation Level.
- For visually handicapped candidates, the exam duration is 2 hours and 40 minutes.
SSC CGL Tier 2 Exam Syllabus
SSC CGL prelims exam syllabus comprises four papers.
- Paper-l Quantitative Abilities
- Paper-ll English Language and Comprehension
- Paper-lll Statistics
- Paper-IV General Studies (Finance and Economics)
The detailed analysis and topics in each section are:
1. Quantitative Abilities
The important topics in this section are:
- Data Interpretation
- Number System
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Profit and Loss
- Interest and Surds & Indices
- Mixture and Allegations
- Work and Time
- Time and Distance
- Mensuration - Problems on Cylinder, Cone, Sphere
- Ratio and Proportion
- Sequence and Series
- Fractions and Decimals
- Square roots
- Congruence and similarity of triangles
- Circle and its chords, tangents
- Angles subtended by chords of a circle
- Common tangents to two or more circles
- Regular Polygons
- Right Prism
- Right Circular Cone
- Partnership Business
- Right Circular Cylinder
- Sphere & Hemispheres
- Rectangular Parallelepiped
- Complementary Angles
- Bar diagram & Pie chart
- Triangle and its various kinds of centers
- Frequency polygon
2. English Language and Comprehension
English language section has a total of 100 questions for 200 marks. To score this section, focus on the listed topics:
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Correction
- Synonyms and Antonyms
- Fill in the Blanks
- Spelling Error
- Cloze Test
- Error Detection
- Idioms and Phrases
- Phrasal Verbs
- Vocabulary Test
- Para jumbles
- Elementary Grammar
- Direct and Indirect Speech
3. Statistics (For Junior Statistical Officer)
The syllabus of Statistics section comprises the below-listed topics.
- Collection Classification and Presentation of Statistical Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Measures of Dispersion
- Moments, Skewness and Kurtosis
- Correlation and Regression
- Probability Theory
- Random Variable and Probability Distributions
- Sampling Theory
- Statistical Inference
- Analysis of Variance
- Time Series Analysis
- Index Numbers
4. General Studies-Finance and Economics (Assistant Audit Officer/ Assistant Accounts Officer)
Part A: Financial Accounting: (80 marks)
- Nature and scope, Limitations of Financial Accounting, Basic concepts and Conventions, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Basic concepts of accounting
Part B: Economics and Governance - (120 marks)
- Comptroller & Auditor General of India - Constitutional provisions, Role and responsibility
- Finance Commission - Role and functions
- Basic Concept of Economics and Introduction to Microeconomics
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Theory of Production and cost
- Forms of Market and price determination in different markets
- Indian Economy
- Nature of the Indian Economy Role of different sectors
- National Income of India
- Poverty and unemployment
- Economic Reforms in India
- Money and Banking
- Monetary/ Fiscal policy
- Budget and Fiscal deficits and Balance of payments
- Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act, 2003
SSC CGL Tier 3 Exam Pattern and Syllabus
SSC CGL Tier - III Exam is a descriptive paper. It will be conducted in offline mode via pen and paper. In this exam, candidates’ language proficiency, grammar knowledge, vocabulary usage and writing skills will be tested. Candidates can write the exam in English or Hindi.
Mode of Examination
Pen and Paper Mode
Descriptive Type paper in English or Hindi
Points to be noted:
The level of questions will be of 10+2 level.
The exam is qualifying in nature. Candidates need to score at least 33% to qualify this particular tier.
For visually handicapped and cerebral palsy candidates, the exam duration is 80 minutes.
SSC CGL Tier 4 Exam Pattern and Syllabus
SSC CGL Tier - IV Exam consists of a couple of skill tests such as DEST and CPT that are required for certain government posts and document verification procedures.
DEST (Data Entry Speed Test)
Data Entry Speed Test (DEST) is conducted specifically for the post of Tax Assistants at 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depression per hour on Computer.
It will be conducted for a passage of about 2000 (two thousand) key depressions for a duration of 15 (fifteen) minutes.
The exam is qualifying in nature.
Conditions are defined by the commission for special ability candidates.
Orthopedically Handicapped (OH) candidates opting for the post of Tax Assistant in CBDT are exempted from appearing in Skill Test, however OH candidates applying for the post of Tax Assistant in CBEC are not exempted from Skill Test.
Hearing Handicapped (HH) and Visually Handicapped (VH) candidates are not eligible for exemption from the Skill Test. VH candidates will be allowed additional compensatory time of 5 minutes in DEST. VH candidates opting for scribes in the written examination will be provided passage readers at the time of Skill Test.
CPT (Computer Proficiency Test)
CPT will be conducted for the post of Assistant Section Officer of Central Secretariat Service (CSS), Assistant Section Officer (MEA), Assistant in Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) under the Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Assistant (GSI) in the Ministry of Mines.
It comprises of three modules –
Generation of Slides
No exemption from CPT is allowed for any category of Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates.
Candidates who are shortlisted will need to go through document verification as the last step for selection.
With the complete syllabus and exam pattern, candidates can start preparing for SSC CGL 2020 Exam.
All the best!