UGC NET 2020 - How to Apply, Eligibility Criteria, Syllabus and FAQs
The National Eligibility Test or UGC NET is a national level examination conducted for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship in government universities and colleges. It is an online-based examination and considered one of the toughest exams in India. UGC NET is held 2 times in a year, in June and in December. Earlier Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) used to conduct this exam, but from December 2018, National Testing Agency (NTA) started conducting it. In this article, we are going to talk about the UGC NET 2020 June examination. So, interested candidates should read the whole article to get all the information.
Important Dates for UGC NET 2020
Start date of online application form
16th March 2020
Last date to submit application form
16th May 2020
Admit Card Download
May 2020 (expected)
June 2020 (expected)
5th July 2020 (expected)
Candidates have to fulfil all the following conditions for being eligible for UGC NET examination 2020:
- The age limit for the Junior Research Fellowship is 30 years.
- For Assistant Professor, there is no age limit.
- LLM degree holders will be given 3 years age relaxation.
- 5 years of age relaxation given to the OBC/SC/ST, women and PWD candidates.
- The candidate must possess a Master Degree or equivalent from UGC recognised universities/colleges.
- General category candidates must secure 55% in Master Degree whereas for OBC/SC/ST candidates 50% is needed in the Master Degree.
- Candidates who are in the final year Master Degree can also apply.
How to Apply for UGC NET 2020?
The candidates who want to apply for UGC NET 2020 must follow the following steps:
1. First, visit the official website of NTA https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/. The homepage will appear.
2. If you scroll down, you will see the ‘Fill Application Form UGC-NET June 2020’ option. Click on it.
3. A page will appear where you will see two options: ‘New Candidate Registration’ and ‘Only Registered Candidates Sign-in’. Click on the ‘New Candidate Registration’.
4. Now, ‘Instruction and Procedure for online submission of Application Form’ will open, where you have to click on the ‘Download Information Bulletin’ button. Now, you will be provided with different information such as how to apply, application fee etc. Read all the instructions very carefully and check on the ‘I have downloaded Information Bulletin, read and understood all the instruction’. Then you can finally click on the ‘Click Here To Proceed’ button.
5. After that, the registration page will open where you will have to enter the required details such as personal details, contact details, choice of password and the security pin and then, you will need to click on the submit button.
6. After that, start filling the application form. You will have to enter all the relevant details such as personal information, educational qualification etc.
7. Then, upload a scanned passport size photo and signature and proceed to the payment of the fee.
8. After making the payment, take a printout of the application form and payment receipt.
Candidates from different categories have to pay a different application fee for the UGC NET 2020 examination. These are as follows:
UGC NET 2020
Number of papers
150 (Paper 1 = 50 & Paper 2 = 100)
300 (Paper 1 = 100 & Paper 2 = 200)
English and Hindi
2 marks/correct answer & No negative marking
UGC NET Syllabus 2020
UGC NET 2020 exam consists of 2 papers. The following are the syllabus of both the papers:
- Teaching Aptitude
- Research Aptitude
- Reading Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning
- Data Interpretation
- Information and Communication Technology
- People and Environment
- Higher Education System
This paper is based on the core subject of the candidate.
UGC NET Admit Card 2020
In May 2020, the National Testing Agency (NTA) will be releasing the UGC NET 2020 June exam admit card. Candidates can download the admit card from the official website of the NTA, i.e., https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/. They have to provide their application number and password for downloading the admit card. The admit card will be needed on the day of the examination, and without it, candidates won’t be allowed to appear in the exam.
Once the UGC NET 2020 examination is over, NTA will release the answer keys after a few days. Candidates can download the answer keys online. Candidates can also challenge the answer if they are not satisfied with it.
UGC NET Result 2020
The National Testing Agency (NTA) is expected to declare the UGC NET 2020 June examination result on 5th July 2020. Candidates can check their results by visiting the official website of NTA. They just have to enter their roll number and date of birth for downloading the result.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the benefits after clearing the UGC NET Exam?
After clearing the UGC NET examination, the candidates will be eligible for the post of Assistant Professor.
Q. Is UGC NET worth it?
Yes, it is worth it if you want to become a professor.
Q. When will UGC NET 2020 June exam application forms be out?
16th March 2020.
Q. What is the last date to submit the UGC NET 2020 June examination application form?
16th May 2020.
Q. Does UGC NET have any negative marking?
No, there is no negative marking in UGC NET examination.
Q. When will the UGC NET 2020 examination (June) be held?
The UGC NET, 2020 June examination, will be held from 15th to 20th June 2020.
Q. Will the UGC NET exam be conducted offline?
No, UGC NET is an online-based examination that won’t be held in offline mode.
Q. How can I download the UGC NET admit card?
You can download UGC NET admit card by visiting the official website of NTA https://ugcnet.nta.nic.in/.
Q. What is the salary of a UGC NET qualified lecturer?
Q. Is UGC NET tough?
Yes, UGC NET is one of the toughest exams in India.
Q. Can I apply for 2 subjects in UGC NET?
No, you can apply for only 1 subject in UGC NET.
Q. Can a graduate apply for UGC NET?
No, only master degree holders or Masters final year students can apply for UGC NET.
Q. Is distance education degree valid for NET?
Yes, you will be eligible for NET.
Q. How many marks are required to clear the UGC NET?
At least 40% of marks is needed to clear the UGC NET examination.
Q. Is NET and JRF the same?
NET is for Assistant Professor and JRF is for Junior Research Fellowship. The exams for both are the same.
Q. How long is NET valid?
UGC NET certificate is valid for 3 years.
Q. Can I clear the UGC NET exam without coaching?
Yes, you can clear this exam without coaching.
Q. Can I prepare for UGC NET in 2 months?
For the preparation of UGC NET, you will generally need 2-3 months.
Q. In a year, how many times will the UGC NET be held?
In a year, UGC NET is held 2 times: June and December.