The government has introduced an online marketplace for all types of bidding and tenders. The portal is GeM or Government eMarketplace. To start using the portal, you need to do the GeM registration first. Then, you must visit the official GeM login page and sign in. There, you’ll see the dashboard for all the transactions, bidding, and tender procurement. Learn details related to GeM login and other services here.
What exactly is GeM
- The government e marketplace login owes its genesis to the recommendations of two Groups of Secretaries made to the Prime Minister in January 2016. They recommended setting up of a dedicated e-market for different goods & services procured or sold by Government/PSUs besides reforming DGS&D. Subsequently, the Finance Minister in his Budget speech for FY 2016-17, announced the setting up of a technology-driven platform to facilitate procurement of goods and services by various Ministries and agencies of the Government.
- DGS&D with technical support of the National eGovernance Division (Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology) has developed a GeM portal for procurement of both Products & Services. The portal was launched on 9th August 2016 by the Commerce & Industry Minister. The Procurement of GeM is authorized by General Financial Rules by making necessary changes in government rules. Presently more than 7400 products in about 150 product categories and hiring of transport service are available on the GeM POC portal. Transactions for more than Rs 140 Crore have already been processed through GeM.
- GeM login portal is a completely paperless, cashless, and system-driven e-marketplace that enables the procurement of common-use goods and services with minimal human interface.
The reason to Choose GeM
- Direct purchase on GeM can be done in a matter of minutes and the entire process is online, end to end integrated, and with online tools for assessing price reasonability. For procurements of higher value, the bidding/Reverse Auction (RA) facility on GeM is among the most transparent and efficient, in comparison to e-procurement systems in vogue within the Government sector. For creating a bid/RA, the buyer does not need to create his/her technical specifications as they have been standardized on GeM. The bid/RA can be created in a matter of minutes and finalized within a minimum of 7 days.
- The bid/RA is notified via e-mail and SMS to all the eligible suppliers; new suppliers are also notified once they get themselves registered online on GeM and are determined as 'eligible' by the system. GeM bidding/RA, therefore, ensures competition, fair play, speed & efficiency and leads to proper price discovery. The reasonableness of the rates can also be confirmed through online comparison with a market price on leading e-Commerce portals.
Advantages of GeM for buyers
Rich listing of products for individual categories of Goods/Services
Search, Compare, Select and Buy facility
Buying Goods and Services online, as and when required.
Transparent and ease of buying
The continuous vendor rating system
User-friendly dashboard for Buying and monitoring supplies and payments
Easy Return policy
Advantages of GeM for sellers
Direct access to all Government departments.
One-stop-shop for marketing with minimal efforts.
One-stop-shop for bids / reverse auction on products/services
New Product Suggestion facility available to Sellers
Dynamic pricing: Price can be changed based on market conditions
Seller friendly dashboard for selling and monitoring of supplies and payments
Consistent and uniform purchase procedures
Listing of products for individual, prescribed categories of Goods/ Services of common use
Look, estimate, compare, and buy facilities on a dynamic pricing basis.
Marketplace buying of the majority of common User Items.
Buying Goods and Services online, as and when required.
Single window system for aggregating demands and ordering
Transparency and ease of buying
Useful for low-value buying and also for bulk buying at a competitive price using Reverse Auction/ e-bidding.
Continuous vendor rating system.
User-friendly dashboard for buying and monitoring supplies and payments
Who can buy/purchase through GeM?
All Central government and State Government Ministries/Departments including its attached/subordinate offices, Central and State autonomous bodies, Central and State Public Sector Units and local bodies, etc. are authorized to make procurement through the GeM portal.
Who is authorized to register as a Primary User on GeM?
Authorized officers of the rank of Deputy Secretary/Equivalent or Head of the Office at Sub Center / Unit / Branch of Government Organisation / PSU / Autonomous Bodies / Local Bodies / Constitution Bodies / Statutory Bodies can register as Primary Users on GeM.
The Requirements to utilize the GeM portal
To use the GeM portal first a Primary User needs to register on the GeM portal. Requirements of Registration on GeM are as follows:
- Aadhaar number of the user
- The mobile number which is linked with Aadhaar
- Email ID ending with gov.in/nic.in/gembuyer.in
- Verifying authority details such as name, mobile number, and email ID ending with gov. in/nic.in
- Goods up to what value can be purchased on GeM:
- Please refer to Rule 149 of GFR 2017. The GeM portal shall be utilized by the Government buyers for direct online purchases as under :
- Up to Rs.25,000/- through any of the available suppliers on the GeM, meeting the requisite quality, specification, and delivery period. The procuring authorities will certify the reasonability of rates.
- Above Rs.25,001/- and up to Rs.5,00,000/- through the GeM Seller having lowest price amongst the available sellers, of at least three different manufacturers, on GeM, meeting the requisite quality, specification, and delivery period. The tools for online bidding and online reverse auction available on GeM can be used by the Buyer if decided by the competent authority. The procuring authorities will certify the reasonability of rates.
- Above Rs.5,00,000/- through the supplier having lowest price meeting the requisite quality, specification, and delivery period after mandatorily obtaining bids, using online bidding or reverse auction tool provided on GeM. The procuring authorities will certify the reasonability of rates.
About the GeM Role
- GeM eliminates human interface in vendor registration, order placement, and payment processing, to a great extent. Being an open platform, GeM offers no entry barriers to bonafide suppliers who wish to do business with the Government. At every step, SMS and e-Mail notifications are sent to both buyers, his/her head of the organization, paying authorities as well as sellers.
- Online, cashless, and time-bound payment on GeM is facilitated through integration with PFMS and State Bank Multi Option System (SBMOPS); web-services integration is being extended to payment systems of Railways, Defence, major PSUs, and State Governments. Seamless processes and online time-bound payment, which is also mandated by the Department of Expenditure, have given confidence to the vendors and reduced their 'administrative' cost involved in pursuing officers for timely payment.
- GeM is a completely secure platform and all the documents on GeM are e-Signed at various stages by the buyers and sellers.
- The antecedents of the suppliers are verified online and automatically through MCA21, Aadhar, and PAN databases.
- In addition, SEBI empaneled credit rating agencies are also being used for conducting a third-party assessment of suppliers. This would further strengthen due diligence about the veracity of suppliers wanting to do business on GeM. For high-value bids/RA on GeM, an e-Bank Guarantee is also being introduced.
GeM is a far better system than the existing one which relies more on financial instruments (EMD in case of tenders for large procurements only) to guarantee good conduct by the suppliers. In the existing system, there are zero checks on the antecedents of the suppliers for small value procurements (up to Rs 1 lakh) whose cumulative value is huge across the Government organizations. GeM does a 100% online verification of all vendors irrespective of the value of procurement
Questions and Answers
How to do the GeM login – sso.gem.gov.in?
First, you are required to visit the official website of gem.gov.in. There, in the menu, you need to locate the login option, once you click on it, you will be redirected to the SSO login page.
To login into GEM Portal, follow these steps –
Go to the SSO GeM portal.
Enter your GeM user ID
Enter captcha code
Verify by clicking on Submit
Post verification, enter your GeM password
Login into the GeM portal
This method can be used to log in to your Government eMarketplace dashboard. You need to complete the online registration first to log in.
How to follow the GeM Buyer registration?
For both options, you are required to fill an online form and submit for verification. Here are detailed methods for both types of GeM portal registrations.
Now, read and verify the terms of registration
As a buyer, accept the terms by checking in.
Then, enter your Aadhaar Number or UID Number
Enter the mobile number registered with Aadhaar
Submit the OTP
Fill the form and upload the required documents
Complete your GeM marketplace registration.
How to register for the GeM Seller registration form?
Now, review the terms and conditions and check.
Now, select the type of business or organization
Enter your business name
Fill the seller registration form
Upload required documents
Complete GeM seller registration process.
After registration, you can go back to the GeM portal login page and use your registered user ID and password to log in.
How to follow the GeM Bids / RA Check online process?
You don’t need to log in for checking the GeM Bids and RAs. Here is how you can check the GeM portal bidding list for tender procurement, goods and services procurements
Select the option between the following –
- Bids / RAs
- Service Bids/RAs
- Bunch Bids/RAs
- Service Bunch Bids/RAs
- Bid to RAs
- Check the Bid Number
- Check Items, department and quantity required
- Check start date and end date of bidding
- Submit your bid by logging into the GeM portal login page
How to check the GeM Bid / RA Status online?
Search for your bid using the serial number
Check the status of GeM bid there
Filter by Bid or RA number.
You can also check GeM status using the item name