PF Balance Check
Employee Provident Fund (EPF) acts as a saving tool for the employees. The employee and the employer contribute an equal amount towards savings that can be availed upon retirement or after switching jobs. The interest rate applicable to the EPF contributions is 8.5% for FY 2020-21. As an employee and a member of the Employees' Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), you don't have to wait for your employer to share your Employees' Provident Fund (EPF) statement at the end of the year to know the balance.
Know more about Provident fund
A Provident fund is a financial security asset that acts as a stable and disciplined investment solution for the post-retirement needs of employees. Individuals PF contribution throughout their employment periodically, which can either be withdrawn while quitting jobs or during important occasions such as marriages and medical emergencies. For the working class, in both the private and public sectors, EPF is an idyllic investment solution for retirement corpus. At present, the wage ceiling for coverage under EPFO is Rs.15,000 per month which is likely to be raised in the coming days.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), a social security organization managed by the government of India, has made it easy for users to check their Epf balance and access other information related to their provident fund. You can now check your Epf balance via SMS, by giving a missed call, via the EPFO app/Umang app, and the EPFO Portal/Umang App. By allowing employees to access the Epf balance, they can easily:
Plan their expenses well
Avail a loan against their Epf balance
Check the status of their Pf balance
Crucial things to know while checking the Pf balance check Using EPFO Portal
- To check the Epf balance, make sure that the employer has activated your Universal Account Number (UAN).
- UAN is a unique identification number provided for all employees enrolled under the EPF scheme.
- All employees should have only one UAN during their working life irrespective of the companies they change. UAN is important as the entire process related to the EPF services is now operated online.
Details through SMS that are received
Once the details have to be messaged using the above-mentioned codes to 7738299899, the subscriber will receive the following details in the following format:
Name of the PF account holder
Date of birth
Last contribution made by both employer and employee
The total balance in the PF account
Benefits of SMS Service
- SMS is generally a one-to-one communication medium that is less time-consuming compared to other means of instant information delivery. In other words, it delivers the message straight into the hands of the intended user. SMS is a widely used tool for B2C communications, and at the same time, it is also one of the most preferred channels of attending user requests by various organizations such as financial institutions and governmental bodies. The SMS service launched by EPFO exemplifies the same.
- Due to the advancement in technology, numerous applications have been launched in the mobile market. Even then, Short Messaging Service (SMS) deserves a special place among all solutions available in the digital space. With the proliferation of mobile devices, SMS has become an integral tool for establishing quicker communications. Going in line with digital progression, EPFO offers a short code SMS service to access information related to PF accounts.
Understanding more about EPFO balance check
- As of October 2015, EPFO has also started a balance checking facility of EPF through cell phones. This means that there is no requirement of logging in to the EPFO portal and provide details.
- On September 18, 2015, the EPFO also launched the EPF Mobile App, SMS Based UAN Activation, and also the Missed Call Service. As mentioned earlier, EPFO launched the UAN (Universal Account Number) advantage for all EPF members. To make the UAN facility more user-friendly, EPFO started SMS based balance-checking facility. Note that this feature can be only used by people who have UAN Account Numbers and have registered their mobile number during UAN activation. Here are the steps to check Epf balance with SMS and texting.
- Remember that you may not receive the message in the case that your Aadhaar, PAN, and bank account were digitally approved and provided by the employer. Therefore if you do not receive the SMS then contact your current employer immediately.
- Transfer of provident fund accounts was considered a herculean task by employees as it involved the surplus amount of paperwork and EPFO visits. But with the launch of a web-enabled UAN system, the entire process has become extremely convenient, safe, and secure.
- Apart from the web portal, EPFO also offers mobile services including app and SMS service.
PF account is one of the most important financial security facilities available to working individuals. Hence, keeping an eye on the PF account through regular balance checks is important. This will also let you know whether your employer is regularly depositing money in your PF account or not. Earlier Pf balance could also be checked via the EPFO app but is now discontinued. The EPF members could check their balance using the M-Sewa app which could be downloaded from Google Play Store. However, now this service has been discontinued. The Member e-Sewa portal states EPFO services are now available on the UMANG (Unified Mobile APP for New Governance).
Questions and Answers
How to check Pf balance check Using EPFO Portal?
UAN is important as the entire process related to the EPF services is now operated online. Thanks to UAN, accessing your PF account services, such as withdrawal, checking Epf balance, and EPF loan application is easy.
Once your UAN number is activated, just follow these steps:-
Step 1: Log on to the EPFO portal https://www.epfindia.gov.in/. Go to the tab ‘Our Services’ and choose the option that says “for employees” from the drop-down menu.
Step 2: Now, click on the option ‘Member passbook’ under the option “Services.”
Step 3: A login page will appear. Enter your UAN number and password here after it has been activated.
Once you log in, you can access your EPF account.
How to check the Pf balance by Sending an SMS?
Once the UAN is integrated with your KYC details, follow these steps:-
Send an SMS to mobile number 7738299899.
The message is to be sent in the format ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG‘.
You’ll have to set your preferred language of communication in the SMS. Just use the first three characters of your preferred language to do so. If you wish to receive updates in English, use the first three characters of the word English, i.e. EPFOHO UAN ENG.
If you want to receive the message updates in Marathi, then type in EPFOHO UAN MAR. This facility is available in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam, and Bengali.
How to check the Pf balance Through a Missed Call?
You can inquire about your Epf balance by giving a missed call to the authorized phone from your registered mobile number. This service is only available upon the integration of your UAN with your KYC details. If you are unable to do this, you can take the help of your employer.
Once the UAN is integrated with your KYC details, follow the steps mentioned below:
Give a missed call to 011-22901406 from your registered mobile number.
After placing a missed call, you will receive an SMS providing you with your PF details.
How to check the Pf balance using the Umang/EPFO app?
- To check your Pf balance, make sure that the employer has activated your UAN number. You can also check your Pf balance by downloading the “m-Sewa app of EPFO” from the Google Play Store.
- Once the app is downloaded, click on ‘Member’ and then go to ‘Balance/Passbook’.
- Afterward, enter your UAN and registered mobile number. The system will verify your mobile number against your UAN. If all the details are verified, you can view your updated Epf balance details. In case of a mismatch, it will display an error.
- Recently, the Electronics and IT Ministry has launched an app called “Umang.” Umang is a single platform that includes different government services, such as Aadhaar, gas booking, crop insurance, NPS, and EPF. You can also use this app to check your EPF details.
- Upon installation, you can find the EPFO option from the app’s homepage under the head “Employee Centric Services” to access your PF account details. The app can be downloaded from Google Play Store.