In this article we are going to learn in detail about GeM registration process and how you can use the GeM portal to sell your goods online.The Government of India sources a large number of commonly used goods and services through public procurement. According to a report published by World Bank, a whopping 20% of India’s GDP is spent on obtaining services from the public.
However, this method of transaction between the Government and public proved less beneficial. Purchase of goods in small quantities led to severe economic losses, moreover it was vulnerable to malpractices as it was tedious to keep track on each small transaction. On the other hand, the public suppliers too, found it difficult to search for buyers from other parts of the country without layers of distributors, which dwindled their profits.
To facilitate this problem and to ensure smooth exchange of goods and services between the Government and public, the Government e Marketplace GEM was setup in 2016 under the recommendation of two high level committees.
WHAT IS GOVERNMENT e MARKETPLACE?
Government e-Marketplace or GeM is an online portal launched by the Government of India to facilitate acquisition of goods and services by various Government departments, organizations and public sector undertakings in India. Initially, it was set up to help central and state Government officials to purchase product such as AC, Stationary, equipment and services such as security personal, cleaning staff, etc. However, GeM now facilitates all Government agencies to publically procure goods of state and national importance.
This online marketplace enables the Government to purchase goods up to 50000 directly. The procurement of goods and services which exceeds this value is done through bidding and reverse auction. According to rule no. 149 of the General Financial Rule, 2017, it is mandatory for all Government agencies to acquire goods and services through GeM. In a short span of 3 years, the Government e-Marketplace has facilitated numerous micro and small businesses to sell their products directly to the Government. You can also sell your product and services on GeM by simply registering on the online portal at www.gem.gov.in.
ADVANTAGES OF GEM
The Government of India is the largest purchaser of goods and services spending lakhs of crores every year. Hence, you can generate a good revenue from your business by selling to the Government. Here are a few additional benefits that GeM offers.
- Sell your goods and services directly to the Government without the involvement of middlemen, thus increasing your profits.
- GeM provide costless marketing opportunity with zero marketing efforts.
- No need to keep an eye on tenders of different Government department. Just list your products on the online marketplace and the agencies will themselves approach you for purchase.
- Government e-Marketplace eliminates the hassle of product and model registration.
- Despite being a Government portal, transactions on GeM require absolutely no paper work. It just replicates the simple buying-selling procedure of other e-commerce portals.
- Once your goods are sold on GeM, the Government directly pays online in your bank account.
- Products sold against seller’s guarantee are generally free from daily consignment inspection, testing and evaluation procedures.
- GeM also provides new product suggestion facility to help you launch new products.
- Government e Marketplace offers dynamic pricing feature, in this way you can set prices based on the market competition.
- Easy return policy for service providers as well as Government.
SERVICES OFFERED BY GEM
The Government e-Marketplace facilitates buyers and sellers by offering a number of services. They are listed as follows.
- Listing of products/services as per the prescribed categories of common use.
- Price comparison option of same products across different suppliers.
- This portal offers buying and selling goods online, as and when required.
- GeM offers a single window system to enable transparency and ease of buying.
- Reverse auction/e-bidding for low value and bulk transactions.
- Marketplace for selling common use items to all Government department situated across the country.
- Continuous seller rating system.
- Seller friendly dashboard for tracking payments and supplies.
HOW TO SELL ON GEM PORTAL?
Like many other micro and medium business enterprises, even you can generate a profitable revenue online by selling on GeM. Following important details are required to get registered as a seller on e-Marketplace.
- PAN card
- Udyog Aadhar or company registration or LLP certificate.
- VAT/TIN number if applicable.
- Bank account and supporting KYC documents.
- Identity proof such as Voter ID, aadhar, driving license, etc.
- Cancelled cheque.
GEM REGISTRATION PROCESS
To sell goods and services on GeM portal, you can register either as Manufacturer/Trader or as a service provider (Laundry, security, etc). Let us take a look at the GeM registration process and how you can sell on this GEM portal.
- Visit //gem.gov.in
- Now in the top-right corner select ‘Seller’ option from the dropdown menu.
- On the next page enter your organization type and name of your business.
- Fill your adhaar number and the mobile number registered with it.
- You can also use your PAN number and DOB. Click on verify to proceed.
- Now you will be asked to enter the OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
- Once the PAN/Aadhar is verified successfully, a form will be displayed.
- Enter your Business and personal details and click on submit to generate your GeM login credentials. This ends the GeM registration process.
After successfully submitting all the necessary information, the GeM login details will be sent to your registered mobile number. You can use these details to login in to the GeM portal.
The Government e-Marketplace offers countless beneficial features to public sellers, ensuring safe and transparent transactions with the Government. This online portal is definitely streamlining the Government’s procurement processes, thus providing profitable solutions to all business organizations.